Posted August 29, 2017
Certified Preschool Lead Teacher
The Hundred Acre School at Heritage Museums & Gardens (HMG) is seeking a 25-30 hour/week year round preschool lead teacher to join the faculty in our STEM preschool. This position has the potential to grow as the school grows. We are looking for experienced teachers that believe in high quality early childhood education.
The mission of The Hundred Acre School is to teach four- and five-year old children to wonder, play, question, explore, discover and learn together while developing the habits of mind that assure superior success in school and in the 21st century as engaged and productive citizens. We will do this through instruction of an innovative STEM curriculum. This curriculum provides children with 21st century skills — critical thinking and reasoning, information literacy, creativity, collaboration, and self-direction that are the foundation of STEM education. Students will fully utilize the rich resources of the museum, including collections objects, expert staff, and horticulture resources. Breaking out of the constraints of the classroom, this curriculum will make extensive use of the natural world found on HMG’s 100 acres as a source of inspiration and learning. The outdoors will be used daily as an extension of the classroom. The approach energizes students in the program to be perpetually reasoning, hypothesizing, predicting, conjecturing, developing ideas, analyzing, questioning, problem solving, observing, and exploring – habits of mind that will serve them well in school and beyond.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES and REQUIREMENTS:
- Plan daily lessons that support and enhance the overall STEM curriculum
- Flexibility and the desire to plan and problem-solve with a team
- Work with a co-teacher in a collaborative and supportive manner.
- Adhere to all EEC regulations
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Comfortable with using technology to communicate with parents and complete lesson plans. Familiarity with MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Google Docs, and Teaching Strategies Gold Online Assessment Tool (training provided).
- Encourage problem solving and practice positive behavior guidance
- Establish strong parent and family relationships
- Must be able to multi-task
- Exhibit excellent organizational skills
- Uphold the mission and goals of The Hundred Acre School at Heritage Museums & Gardens
- Be able to project a positive image and be an ambassador of the school both at Heritage Museums & Gardens and while out in the public at large.
- Attend recurring staff meetings and trainings to stay current in teaching practices, foster good working relations, and provide feedback and insights.
- Year round position including the preschool year and a museum summer program
- Be able to stand on your feet for up to 90% of the day
- Capable of lifting up to 30 pounds
- Ability to sit on the floor and squat down to meet any child’s needs
- Willingness to work outdoors in uncomfortable weather or conditions
- CPR and First Aid certification within 1 week of hire
- Required to successful pass CORI, DCF, and fingerprinting background check.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field.
- Currently certified as a Lead Teacher by the Department of Early Education and Care.
- Application: Available August 30, 2017
- Majority of Interviews in September 2017
- Position begins on or before October 2, 2017 or until the position is filled
- Please submit the following items:
- Resume & Cover Letter
- Proof of EEC Certification
- Application questions
- Application Question # 1: What strengths will you bring to a STEM curriculum?
- Application Question #2: How will you know if your teaching strategies have been effective? What defines success as a preschool teacher?
- Application Question #3: How would co-workers describe your strengths and weaknesses?
- Mail to Melissa Russell, The Hundred Acre School at Heritage Museums & Gardens, 67 Grove Street, Sandwich, MA
- Email to Melissa Russell, firstname.lastname@example.org